“Kawaki” aka “The World of Kanako” Gore and Suspense
Kawaki (translates as “Thirst”) is a Japanese Thriller directed and co-written by Tetsuya Nakashima with collaborative screenplay writers Miako Tadano and Nobuhiro Monma. The film is based off of Akio Fukamachi’s novel “Hateshinaki Kawaki”. If you’ve haven’t seen a Japanese or Asian produced Suspense Thriller, you’re in for some high intensity and violent eye candy.
“Kawaki” aka “The World of Kanako” centers on Akikazu Fujishima (portrayed by Kôji Yakusho), a detective forced to retire after beating up his wife’s lover. He descends into alcoholism and is seething with anger management issues, now divorced Akikazu Fujishima spends his time as a lonely recluse.
“Kawaki” aka “The World of Kanako” takes off into high gear when his ex-wife Kiriko Fujishima (portrayed by Asuka Kurosawa) contacts him on the disappearance of their 17-year-old daughter Kanako Fujishima (portrayed by Nana Komatsu). Kiriko Fujishima’s initiates the search for his missing daughter with instincts taking reigns of his every move. However, he soon realizes that his daughter was hiding a deep secret, one that was well hidden by her good-girl image.
“Kawaki” aka “The World of Kanako” has gotten rave reviews in the film festival circuit and is a 2014 Hochi Film Award winner for “Best New Artist” (Nana Komatsu). The film circulated within the festivals listed below:
- 2014 Toronto International Film Festival – September 4-14, 2014 – Vanguard *International Premiere
- 2014 Fantastic Fest – September 18-25, 2014 *U.S. Premiere
- 2014 Busan International Film Festival – Oct. 2-11, 2014 – Midnight Cinema
- 2014 Sitges Film Festival – October 3-12, 2014 – Official Fantàstic Competition
- 2014 BFI London Film Festival – October 8-19, 2014 – Dare Gala
- 2014 Chicago International Film Festival – Oct. 9- 23, 2014 – After Dark
- 2014 Hawaii International Film Festival – Oct. 30-Nov. 9, 2014 – Spotlight on Japan *U.S. Premiere
- 2015 International Film Festival Rotterdam – Jan. 21-Feb. 1, 2015 – Spectrum
- 2015 San Francisco International Film Festival – April 23-May 7, 2015 – Dark Wave
- 2015 Nippon Connection – June 2-7, 2015 – Nippon Cinema *German Premiere
“Kawaki” aka “The World of Kanako” is scheduled for release on both VOD (Video On Demand) and select theater locations on the 4th of December 2015. Below are stills and trailer to the film.